Army Counter Intelligence Corps Veterans, Inc.
NetEz Weather Watch
Enter City & State or US Zip Code:
Army Counter Intelligence Corps Veterans, Inc.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Post new topic   Reply to topic    ACICV Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 30
Location: Maryland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: CASUALTY INSTRUCTIONS Reply with quote

Casualty Instructions

When a retiree dies, the Army offers assistance to the surviving spouse and/or siblings through its Casualty Assistance Offices.  The Military District of Washington Casualty Assistance Office has outlined the assistance that Casualty Area Commands (CAC) offer and the time frame in which the surviving spouse should request or receive assistance.

When the retiree dies, the survivor should  (notify CAC) call the Department of the Army Casualty Operations Center at 1-800-626-3317 or from overseas call 703-325-7990 collect as soon as possible.  DA will advise the survivor which Casualty Area Command to call.  The CAC will notify the Army Finance and Accounting Office and retired pay will stop.

Although the survivor is faced with many pressing responsibilities after the retiree’s death, notifying the CAC should be at the top of the list.  This early notification may prevent financial hardship.

Retired Pay

For example, since entitlement to retired pay ends with the death of the retiree, retired pay should be stopped as soon as possible.  Early notification of the death can prevent overpayment of retired pay, which the survivor would have to pay back to the Army Finance Center.  Also, the earlier the survivor is provided a CAO,  the earlier assistance can be rendered in applying for any benefits and funeral support.

The retiree can help prevent financial hardship for the survivors by making sure family members (especially the spouse) know where important documents relating to marriage, birth, divorce, etc. are.  

Within 24 hours of the survivor’s notifying the CAC of the retiree’s death, a Casualty Assistance Officer (CAO) will contact the survivor.

If the survivor wishes, the CAC will help with planning the funeral arrangements.

After the Funeral

A week after the funeral,  the survivor and the CAO discuss benefits such as the ID card, membership in an installation club, Social Security and Veterans Affairs benefits as well as other topics such as a new will, taxes and vehicle registrations.  The survivor should have the following documents on hand: survivor’s birth certificate, retiree’s birth certificate, retiree’s discharge certificates (214),  their marriage certificate and if applicable divorce certificates, also retirement orders.  If you’re missing any of these documents, the time to replace them is now.  Copies of DD Form 214 may be acquired by a request to National Personnel Records Center, ATTN:  Army Reference Branch, 9700 Page avenue, St. Louis,  MO 63132-5100, Telephone 314-801-9195, Fax  314-801-9195 or http//
During this meeting the CAO and survivor may make appointments to visit agencies such as the VA, Social Security and installation legal office or they may visit them if no appointments are necessary.

The survivor needs to review personal items such as the house deed, stocks, bank accounts, individual retirement accounts and the retiling of vehicles plus post stickers.

If the retiree had survivor benefit plan (SBP) coverage for the survivor, the CAO can help complete the forms so that SBP payments can be started as soon as possible, thereby reducing any financial hardship for the survivors.  

Sometime later, the survivor may decide to consult a financial planner.  Since this is not part of the Army services, it would be at the survivor’s expense.  A check with the local Army Community Services Office to see what services they offer is advised.

Civil Service

After notifying the Military of a death, notify the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), Retirement Programs, Employee Service and Records Center, Boyers, PA 16017.  In your letter Include:  Full name of deceased, exact date of birth, exact date of death, CSA claim number, address, relationship and signature of person entitled to survivor benefits.  You will need to request forms SF 2800 – Application for death benefit, survivor annuity, and FE 6 Claim for benefits, Federal Employees Group Life Insurance.
Remember that the survivor annuities are not paid automatically.  You must apply to OPM to receive benefits!

Return any uncashed checks to the address on the accompanying Treasury Department envelope.  If payments are made directly to a financial institution, notify it of the retiree’s date if death and request any future checks be returned and/or direct deposits be returned to the Treasury Department.

Contact your Union Office for assistance in acquiring necessary forms and they will also contact OPM and assist in acquiring necessary forms.

Survivors should contact the local Veterans Office and Local Military Installation.  

Contact your local band and other financial institutions, the Social Security Administration Local Office, insurance companies, Internal Revenue Services.

Change the name on all-important papers to survivor’s name.  Have the mortuary official obtain enough certified death certificates for your needs.  They will be able to advise you of the amount you will need.

Gather miscellaneous papers such as birth certificates, marriage license, divorce decree, death of deceased children or spouses or other documents establishing identity or relationship to the survivor.  Notify all organizations that the deceased was a member of.  

Telephone Numbers

If the husband dies and there is a surviving spouse, she should report his death to the following Agencies:

Army Retired Pay Center in Cleveland Ohio                            Tel 1-800-321-1080
Department of Army Personal records                                       Tel 1-866.272.6272,
Ft Meade, MD Bldg 2234                    Tel    301-677-2206

Office of Personnel Management  --  OPM                                 Tel 1-888-767-6738
(Apply for spouses pension and also inquire about any live insurance he may have had with OPM)

VA Department                                                                              Tel 1-800-827-1000
(Check to see if survivor is entitled to a pension or help with funeral expenses if he had ever received VA compensation.

VA Insurance  Philadelphia, PA                                                   Tel 1-800-669-8477
VA Grave information                                                                  Tel 1-800-697-6947
Social Security                                                                                Tel 1-800-772-1213  
(Apply for the specified small amount which they pay for burial payment)

All of the above offices will send here the required forms and tell her what papers she needs  --  like death certificates, copies of DD 214 (last discharge), etc.

The funeral home will make ;the arrangements for burial at Arlington National Cemetery, if the deceased wishes to be buried there. Your funeral director can be of great assistance if burial is at a National Cemetery.

If the deceased has private insurance the firm must be notified to collect the insurance.

Dental plans, supplemental insurance, long term insurance etc will have to be notified or the premiums will continue to be deducted.

If a new ID card is needed, Ft. Meade will take care of it.  

Make name changes on all personal changes such as car title, car insurance, home deed, bank accounts, stocks, etc.  

If the wife predeceases her husband, the husband will have to stop the allotment for the Survivor benefits (SBP) and take her off all his personal papers, insurance, etc.  If the husband will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery and his wife predeceases him, the funeral home will make the arrangements with Arlington National Cemetery for her to be buried there prior to her husband’s death.

Last edited by Ozzie on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
New Here

Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Casualty info Reply with quote

As usual fifty attaboys for the casualty info sheet.
Thank You so much, I just hope that it isn't REAL timely.
Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ACICV Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1


Services provided by
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group